Who Am I?

My photo
California
A little black & filipino, Cali wild child. Roaming the Earth until the good Lord calls me home.

2.15.2011

Silence - Chapter 5 pgs. 119-120

What the Book Says & How I Perceive It:
Silence is the absence of verbal communication that can communicate messages nonverbally. It has a number of meanings, but it depends on the situation, culture, and other factors to understand completely. Agreement, disagreement, respect, confusion, and contemplation are just a few of the meanings that silence can communicate.
Typically, “Eastern societies such as India, China, and Japan have valued silence more than Western societies” (Jandt 119). It’s very common for silence to be accepted in Asia, where as here in the U.S. silence is considered “socially disagreeable” (Jandt 119).
In India silence is viewed at on different levels.
      • "Individual Level: Silence is viewed as a state of being. Allowing you to experience the highest truth & bliss.
      • Interpersonal Level: Silence is used to promote harmony, cooperation, and other collectivistic values. Sign of mutual respect, personal dignity, affirmation, and wisdom.
      • Social Level: Silence can be protest. (i.e: Mohandas Gandhi)" (Jandt 119)
Mohanda Gandhi used silence to protest for India's independence through nonviolence.

In the United States, silence normally means lack of attention and lack of initiative. “A person must speak to participate” (Jandt 119). Silence can also show respect, like when people call for moments of silence.
These soldiers are having a moment of silence to show respect to the deceased.
In China, silence means agreement. Talk only if you have “something important to add” and “always let the other talk first” (Jandt 119).
Confucian belief.
How I Apply Silence In My Life:

I've seen silence in the United States communicate a lot of different things. I’ve seen it mean that someone has the power or authority. My mother used to get mad at me when I would be silent and not tell on my siblings, because she said it means I’m agreeing with their actions. Normally when I’m silent it means that I’m not in a good mood. Or maybe I’m angry and my thoughts are scattered. Sometimes people will ask me questions when I’m in an argument and I’m angry. I tend to be silent for a few moments because I have to really gather my thoughts and make sure that I don’t say something that I might later regret. I also show silence in class…sometimes…to show respect for whoever is teaching, whether it be a teacher or student(s).

3 comments:

  1. Silence can be so unbearable in certain situations, but this is entirely a conditioned view on silence that we have in America. Everything is "awkward" when in times of silence.

    I really appreciate silence, especially in nature. Once when I was in the middle of the desert, the silence that surrounded my was so heavy, I could feel it, and it was beautiful and overwhelming altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That sounds beautiful. Silence in nature is so wonderful. Last year my friends and I used to sit on the lawn outside of JB under the trees and just sit there in a bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silence is one of those things that make the tone of a room noisy. lol

    Silence can either make people laugh when they are in a setting because the tone is awkward and intolerable or it can cause a distraction because you can hear the scuffles, the sniffling, etc. form others.

    ReplyDelete

What you gotta say?