Who Am I?

My photo
California
A little black & filipino, Cali wild child. Roaming the Earth until the good Lord calls me home.

2.16.2011

Organization - Chapter 3 pgs. 65-66

What the Book Says & How I Perceive It:
Organization is the second step in the perception process. People tend to “organize data in some meaningful way” (Jandt 65). Our five senses, (touch, sight, smell, taste, and hear) help us organize whatever data we receive. The book gives one example saying that when we view a building, we don’t focus on every little piece of the building, but the entire building itself; “the unified whole”. 
An argument that’s posed is that people “somehow grasp some set of attributes that things have in common” (Jandt 65), and then go on to group them together (based off the similar attributes) in categories provided by language. Language gives categories the influence to what a person’s perceptions are, and how they are encoded & stored.
When a person views an object they view the “unified concept of the object” (Jandt 65), but if that object is flipped, turned, or not viewed in the original way, other components that weren’t originally detected become noticeable.

In this picture one might see a serious face.
But when flipped, the word "liar" appears in cursive.
Color is one of the main components of how people organize things. Many Americans have learned from their culture to "organize color perceptions by grouping certain perceptions together and labeling them with a shared symbol" (Jandt 65). The American color spectrum goes red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. People may recognize an object as different shade of red, but they still view and categorize it under the color red. Other cultures use color organization as well, similar to the American way. The Zimbabwe Shona speakers categorize their colors into cipsuka, cicena, citema, and cipsuka. They may perceive diffences in their colors in a different way than Americans, but just as we see different shades of red, they'll see an object in a shade of cicena and label it under cicena.
These books are organized by color. They're different shades of each color on the spectrum, but are viewed as whatever color it falls under on the spectrum.
How I Apply Organization to My Life:
I organize by color a lot. For example, my closet. I organize the color by the darkest shades to the lightest shades. But not only is my closet organized by color, but also the length of the clothings (i.e: long sleeve, short sleeve, tanktops). First come the short sleeves, then the long sleeves, then the tanktops.
My closet isn't the only way I use color to organize. I use color to organize objects in my kitchen (i.e: cups), bathroom (i.e: lotions, perfumes, body wash), and the living room (i.e: couch pillows).
 

3 comments:

  1. Interesting choice, color and the perceptions we hold about the spectrum of colors is fascinating.
    I would like to believe that most people perceive colors the same, but I doubt it. And the vast descriptions and names for colors like cerulean or chartreuse, the descriptions are endless.
    Soo true about American Way, makes shopping there soo easy....I go in, thinking I want something yellow, and I bypass all the other color sections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! So many stores do that; organize the clothes by color. It does make shopping wayyy easier. When I was little I would love getting the 50 box of Crayolas and look at the names of each shade of a color. Like blue, you have blue violet, teal, aquamarine, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this topic. I must say, I am a well organized person. I too love to coordinate things in my closet. I makes things easy to find.

    I also think being organized, makes day runs smoothly also.

    ReplyDelete

What you gotta say?