Who Am I?

My photo
California
A little black & filipino, Cali wild child. Roaming the Earth until the good Lord calls me home.

11.29.2010

Trust - Ch. 8 pg. 199.

The book says...
  • Trust is the "belief in another's reliability and emotional reliance on the other to care about and protect our welfare." Basically believing that our private information is safe with the other person.
  • Trust is something that is earned over time. We learn to trust when someone proves "that they are reliable, show that they care, and make the investments to enrich the relationaship."
  • "One reason trust is so important to relationships is that it allosw us to take risks with others."
How I understand the concept...
  • Although trusting someone can make us feel emotion, trust is more of an expectation we have in someone. We expect that he or she will do as they say.
  • Trusting someone doesn't automatically come with a relationship. It's earned, and the time it takes to trust someone is different with everybody.
  • When trust is established in a relationship we feel safe, which is why we're able to take risks with a person we trust.
  • We open ourselves to other only if we feel we can rely on them to protect us. We're able to confide in them, and expect them to protect our confidences, and alost to care about us/our well-being.
Application to my life...
  • I don't trust every person I meet. When I meet someone I look at their personality and see how they handle certain things, basically observe them. If I see they handle situations in a way that makes me feel okay then slowly I build up trust in them. I realize that I can take risks with that person, confide in them, and I know that they'll be there for me when I need them to be.
  • For Example: My sister is someone who I know that I can for sure trust, and I know she'll never let me down. I can tell her anything, which is confiding in her. And she knows she can do the same with me. We both take risks together, which also can lead to us getting in trouble together, but we know that we'll take the wrap for each other. And when I'm down she knows, but she won't question. She knows if I want to talk about it I will, but if I don't she is just there for me. Hangs out with me, and tries to cheer me up. And I do the same for her.
Additional info...
"Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask questions, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart." - Anonymous
This quote makes sense because you may meet somebody you think you can trust right off the back, but it's smart if you observe for a while. That's the be quiet part. See how they are and if you can really trust them. Give them tests, ask questions, etc. Once you get your answers you'll know if you can trut that person.

This is a song by Keyshia Cole ft. Monica. They're both singing about a guy being able to trust them. If you listen to the words you can tell that the guy has been throught some bad relationships and doesn't trust easily, but they're trying to let the guy know that he can trust them. Click on the link to see the video.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this post is really good. I see what you say about trust, im the same way. I bet you haver had bad expirences in trusting people you never should trusted and ended up really bad. Trust is something earned not given, and you hit it right on the dot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Trust is earned, not given. And it's not to be taken for granted. I'm sure we've all had a bad experience with trust. But those experiences are there for us to learn and move on and eventually trust again, maybe not the same person, but we'll trust again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This helps me to see the other side, I tend to be overly trusting, and I am sometimes taken advantage of, but I've learned to be a little more hesitant and cautious, but I still prefer to trust first rather than wait and see.

    ReplyDelete

What you gotta say?