Who Am I?

My photo
California
A little black & filipino, Cali wild child. Roaming the Earth until the good Lord calls me home.

11.29.2010

Commitment - Ch. 8 pg. 198.

The book says..
  • Commitment is "the decision to remain in a relationship", meaning that partners assume that they will continue in life together.
  • Since partners view their connection as progressinging, "they are unlikely to bail out during the inevitable rough times."
  • When partners make a commitment, they "take responsibility for continuing to invest in and care for their bond."
How I undertand the Concept...
  • To make a commitment to someone, as in a relationship, you're making a decision; it's not a feeling. It's a serious step in a relationship, but if both are truly committed it shows that the relationship is maturing.
  • When partners commit to each other, they see it as if they'll be together pretty much for life, so they're not going to let problems and tensions break them up. By committing they're saying they're willing to work through the rough times. And they also realize that the rough times won't last forever.
  • Committed relationships come with responsibilities. The partners are responsible for maintaining the relationship. Caring, nurturing, etc for it. Without responsibility the relationship can get rocky and not be a stable basis for the long term.
Application to my life...
  • I apply this concept not only to the romantic relationship in my life, but also friendships. With friends I maintain the relationship by being there when they need me, & in return they're there for me when I need them.
  • For Example: I don't consider that many people my friend, due to only one of us putting in an investment into our friendship. So when I do consider someone my friend it's because both of us are being committed to our friendship. We realize that you can't build up a friendship with only one person doing work. We check up on each other from time to time. We hang out with each other. Are there for each other during the rought times. And etc.
Additional info...
The song is pretty much self-explanatory. Click on it to see the video with the lyrics.
It basically lists everything she expects when a guy commits to her.

2 comments:

  1. Yes that is true. I like how you connect with not only ur relationships, but ur friendships! its true, you have to work on your friendships in order to keep close friends around you at all times when you need them, through thick and thin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right? There are friendships that are worth staying committed too, and then there are those that aren't. I feel like the ones that aren't are the ones where they'll text, FB, or tweet you saying "you never hit me up anymore!" Ummmmm! You have my number too. So don't try to just blame it on me. You know?

    ReplyDelete

What you gotta say?