Who Am I?

My photo
California
A little black & filipino, Cali wild child. Roaming the Earth until the good Lord calls me home.

10.21.2010

Respect What Others Say about Their Feelings and Thoughts

The book...
  • says that it's rare that we ever completely grasp what another person feels or thinks. 
  • states that it's very important for us "not to assume we understand people from other cultures & distinct communities within our society.
  • mentions "effective communicators don't dispute or disparage what others say about what they feel & think." We should respect what others think & feel; it helps us hit a cornerstone in effective interpersonal communication.
How I understand the concept...
  • We can NOT assume that we understand what people think or how they feel. (Assuming makes an ASS out of U & ME.)
  • Everyone is unique in their own way. Everybody's different; nobody thinks the same, feels the same, etc. So it's disrespectful for us to try to talk people out of how they feel, or force our thoughts & feelings upon.
  • People come from so many different cultures, there's no way we can understand exactly what they go through, unless we too are just like them. (e.g. A white person will never understand certain things a black person goes through, & vice versa.)
Application to my life...
How I apply this concept to my life is to be slow to judge.
For example: You know the famous saying "You can't judge a book by it's cover."? Well I try my best to live by that. It really helps me to keep an open mind, and accept people for who they truly are. I feel that we have no right to judge anybody in this world at all. We aren't God. Like Tupac said, "Only God can judge me." By not judging others, I keep an open mind & am able to respect others' thoughts & feelings.
 Additional Info...
 
Lyrics from Only God Can Judge Me:
Only God can judge me, is that right?
Only God can judge me now
Only God baby, nobody else, nobody else

2 comments:

  1. i love how you connected this to tupac, we should all take that into perspective. We need to stop judging people based on their appearence, or more of what is inside

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! I can't stand when people judge me, let alone judging other people. I loveee Tupac! Hahaha. & that quote always stays in my mind. It's really good to live by.

    ReplyDelete

What you gotta say?